Thursday, January 15, 2009

Donald hierarchy

No, I didn't forget about this blog; my roommate with a scanner just went home for winter break. Been meaning to scan some of the stuff I've done, but it'll have to wait until after this weekend. The undergraduate show's submissions are apparently due this Tuesday, and I really need money, so I'm going to try to crank out some paintings.

Anyway, here's my attempt at an exercise on hierarchy John K just posted; it was fun! But I'm certain I got many things wrong. Oh, well-- I love these old covers, they're so direct and clear.

I'm a full-time student, but I work part-time at a bookstore. I mostly do cafe stuff but I also keep the comics section tidy; and wow, do I have to look at a lot of bad art on those covers.




I tried to do basic shapes of the layout here. The overall statement/shape isn't as clear as it is in that wonderful Bambi illustration he recently dissected, so I actually, sadly, probably had more trouble with this than with anything. I wasn't sure if I should include the little Injuns or not; I decided against it.




This is actually two here. The most important features are lighter. In retrospect I should have made the totem pole to the right more cohesive-looking. Got a little sloppy. I also am not sold on the little stereotypes; I should have zoomed in a bit more and tightened it a bit.





Less important green details! I dunno, more for fun than anything. It's nice to get in close with these drawings.

Attention, big-shot comic companies: give mercy to bookstore and comic book store employees everywhere and reconsider your aesthetics. Maybe someone would actually buy your stuff, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment